Thursday, March 27, 2014

On a Nepali study with Akemi

Feeling sick, but still happy to ring some
doorbells in the ministry
Day 55:
Not that I am superstitious, but I should have known that rainclouds are an indication that the day might be a bit dreary. Head aching, I was determined not to let anything stop me from going out in service- I really want to talk to somebody about Jehovah.
When I left for the service meeting, the sky was clear but the wind was enough to chill you to the bone. Having made previous arrangements with Akemi- a special pioneer from Japan who has been serving here in Lisbon English with her husband, Andre, for a year- we were set with return visits for the afternoon. Her return visits were all in Anjos, a part of town that doesn't have the best of reputations when it comes to safety and cleanliness, and they all just so happen to be Nepali speaking women. When I realized this meant I wouldn't get to actually speak to anybody or comprehend the actual studies, my heart sank a little. Focusing on the positive- the good news is a universal language and I was there to support Akemi and be good, up building company which made me feel very usual and happy to be there. I had never had Nepali food, but today I got a taste of some sort of fusion type cuisine. Known for their hospitality, the woman we were studying with eagerly places plates of food in front of us. From Nepali "pickles" to curried spaghetti noodles with ketchup (she called it Italian food)- Akemi and I hesitantly picked at our plates for fear of giving offense. Besides, it was the gesture that counts and we were both extremely flattered by the woman's desire to take care of us.
After an hour or so, we said our goodbyes to the sweet Nepali woman and headed off to the next study. It turns out  the woman was not able to study this afternoon so we decided to sit in a café and do search work online. By this time it was pouring rain- "Abril de mil águas" (April of a thousand waters) is what they coin the term here in Portugal.
This is where the evening gets interesting. Sitting in the café Akemi's bag was snatched from her side making her the fourth victim from the hall of robbery since Audry's fiasco a few weeks ago. After cancelling cards and awaiting her husbands arrival to the café, I said my goodbye to Akemi and Andre and headed back to the apartment. One side puddle soaking later, I sat on the bus with the sub. C.O. and his wife (they live in the apartment two floors below us). We talked the whole way to Campolide, small talk mainly, but as we stood at their apartment door I suddenly felt much better about the rainclouds, the headache, the theft, and the fact that I was drenched with nasty street water. The sister said her apologies as we departed- "Sorry things have been so rough for you guys"- she said as she stood in the arch of her doorway.
"It's alright. We are still smiling and I've never been happier". Her and her husband laughed and I went upstairs, smiling because it was true. When you focus on the positives, the "Mil Águas" of the rainclouds above you don't seem to soak you so badly.
Today's Positives:
I went out in service with one of the nicest sisters and got to meet one of the most hospitable of people
Not only did I get to support Akemi in the ministry, but I also got to stay and help her when she needed me- I feel good about that
I had a wonderful bus ride with the elder and his lovely wife
We now have dinner guests for this Sunday and I am super excited to put some pointers I learned about hospitality to good practice for them
Tomorrow we might go out to dinner with some Bethelite friends and on Saturday we have been invited to a group outing!

1 comment:

  1. Nice intro/outro. It made for a smooth delivery and wrapped up conclusion. Even soaked with street water (Yuk!) those rain clouds weren't holding you guys back! Awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete