Sunday, March 16, 2014

 
 
Day 44:
They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder- which means that art must be as well, right? As we stared at the pieces within the museum, we discussed amongst ourselves the individual interpretations of the exhibits. At the end of our visit to the museum of modern art, it was unanimously decided that art is like beauty. There is no real definition; just interpretation of the expression of creativity, imagination, and emotion of oneself.
 
 
Ellie and the giant table
 
 
 
 
 Belem, the part of town in which we visited today, was extremely packed. Weaving in And out of crowds, I tried my best to find the art around me.
 
 Lately, I feel as though I have been letting the appreciation of the city escape me. Today was like opening my eyes again. From the statues, to the buildings, the cobblestones that lay the earth like puzzle pieces beneath our feet- art is in the world surrounding us.

As we continued on our way, we visited a very unique place to Lisbon. The LX Factory is a street of beauty and art. Groups of industrial buildings that were abandoned in the 19th century are now occupied by a variety of a vendors- from books and soaps, to arts, crafts, and clothing. It was amazing to see the works of peoples' hands, the streets so alive with an appreciation for detail and hard work.
 

Dinner in a café at LX Factory


 
 
 
Reflecting on the day, I realize the depth of my submersion in art and in beauty. The most beautiful piece, in my personal opinion, was a sign that we saw hanging in the streets of the abandoned warehouses. This sign reminded me that this trip, despite the rocky parts, is going to develop into something amazing. I just need to give it time, to adjust my lens, and to keep searching for the beauty in every moment that I am here.
Today's Positives:
Had a fun day in beautiful weather with my beautiful friends
Got an unexpected visit from a friend in the hall who came just to give us hugs and cookies and make sure we were all happy and well
Saw some amazing pieces of art and had fun exploring the museum
Made a return visit while we were out
 

No comments:

Post a Comment