Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Day 39:
It's funny how something as simple as the sunshine can make a day so much better- even the most mundane of days. I met Crystal at Marques de Pombal this morning for our service plans. Walking through town, we made our way to her territory in Rossio. The sky was blue and seemed to dance as it reflected off the river. Something about the stucco houses and the cobblestone hills that makes this town seem almost magic- like I've been dropped in the scene of some foreign film. Then people start speaking and I realize there are no subtitles and the magic disappears for a moment and is abruptly replaced by reality.

 
We walked the hills through the streets. Pushing buttons on intercoms, we waited for replies but with little success. This was our morning. Crystal and I talked and searched for somebody to preach to. We spoke a bit about the coming campaign and ideas to increase our ministry, we spoke about our families back home and getting through the rocky parts of being "need greater", we discussed our favorite parts of the city and of being here- doing what we are doing. Even though we didn't find anyone to speak to in English about the truth, we had a nice day speaking with each other. It is such a blessing to have friends who share the same priorities and goals; friends who understand and appreciate your struggles and friends who genuinely love and care about you.
I came back to the apartment to such friends. Poor Makenzie was feeling sick today, so we spent the evening in the apartment watching movies, looking up information for planning a few things, just talking and hanging out together. I walked, I ran, I tried to clear my mind. These next few days will be jam-packed with fun events as we try to keep me occupied and try to make the best of our incoming guest's week long stay. Tomorrow we pick up Ellie from Oregon at the airport after service! Day 40 should be a busy day for us.
 
Yesterday's Positives:
I had a wonderful time with Crystal in service
I got to spend the majority of the day in summer like weather
I did my best to help Makenzie feel better
I got a good run in while I could
I'm surrounded by people I love and adore, which makes it feel like a second home here
I have so much to look forward to these next few weeks
 


2 comments:

  1. What?? No positives!! I love those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Grandma! I'm so sorry. I fell asleep before I finished! But it's never too late to reflect on the positive :)

      Delete