Friday, February 28, 2014

Day 28:
We have finally met the one month mark! It is amazing how fast time flies when you are having fun and staying so busy. Looking back, it doesn't seem like all that long ago I was boarding a plane in Portland and saying goodbye to my family and friends. I'm almost scared to see how fast these next two months go by with all we are cramming in- Porto, Spain, Bethel, and more adventures will fill our next few weeks.
Today was spent on service, scraping up the last few hours we could for the month and working with new ones in the congregation. I allowed myself time in the morning off in order to catch up on some much needed sleep and then enjoy a long jog through the park before afternoon service. The sun was shining on me as I made my way through the greenery and enjoyed the sounds of Portugal. After my jog and a shower, I met Yolanda for service. Yolanda is native to Portugal and has been serving in the English congregation for a couple of months here in Lisbon. When I met her at the arranged place, she had warned me about her territory... we were headed to a very interesting part of the city.
The streets were packed with people and booths. The carnival is in town for the weekend and street vendors made themselves especially available to all of the tourists on this sunny Friday afternoon. As Yolanda and I made our way through Baixa and into Intendente, the scene of the crowd began to change drastically. Where tourists and children once stood in the streets, the corners were now inhabited with young women in questionable garments and of men who seemed to have forgotten the basics of personal hygiene. Shouting and smoke filled the air around us and we tried not to stare at some of the strange things people were doing on the sidewalks. Yolanda hurried me along, warning me that we would not stay here past five and that I should never come after dark to this part of town. Suddenly, I didn't feel so excited for the territory map in my service bag that marked the streets next to Yolanda's.
We worked a few buildings- here that means pressing intercom buttons until somebody responds and (if they are nice enough) unlocks the door to let you in. The buildings we visited today were hostels which meant that many of the residents spoke English and the buildings had a common room for us to leave magazines in. So we left our magazines, spoke with managers, and went about our merry way. As the evening approached, we made our way back to Marques de Pombal. I think in the couple hours we were out we walked a good 7 or so miles up and down the steepest cobblestone hills in Lisbon.
The evening was filled with plans to meet Beatriz for wine and dinner. Of course, as is becoming the norm for us girls in this city, all types of shenanigans took place after dark. From flaming food, to getting sideswiped by trucks, and photo bombing pictures in the metro- it was a wonderful Friday night. I don't think there has been a single day this whole month that has gone by where I haven't laughed until my stomach ached or had some kind of crazy adventure. Day 29- the beginning of our last two months- brings service plans, meeting, and dinner at Tia's!
Today's Positives:
Had some time to enjoy a stroll through the park and think
Got some good and much needed sleep
Had a nice time in service with Yolanda learning more about how to search for interested people in the city 
Enjoyed some traditional Portuguese food and wine with some friends and had a great 
 night out with them as always
Marked our first month as a wonderful month full of accomplishments and promises of even better times to come

No comments:

Post a Comment