Sunday, February 23, 2014

 


 
Day 23:
Exhausted from last night and a strangely rude and early awakening, I stayed in bed until ten this morning- mostly just laying awake with my thoughts. When I decided I couldn't take the feeling  of wasting the day anymore, I went for a stroll through town. Audry had decided to accompany me for which I was extremely thankful. It's amazing the places you find when you explore with friends.
Looking for a portable cup of coffee seems to be a challenge in the European culture, but our caffeine driven mission lead us to a beautiful botanical garden within the center of Marques de Pombal. The foliage and statues were absolutely amazing and we couldn't have asked for better weather. Vivid green leaves, trickling water, delicate flowers, and chiseled stone all seemed to mesh perfectly in this world within our world. Though the time spent in Estufa Fria- the famous greenhouse we just so happen to stumble upon- was limited, Audry and I enjoyed every second of it and plan to go back sometime soon. I wish I could tell you more about the history of this beautiful garden, but the information was all in Portuguese.
Later in the afternoon I finally got the chance to sit in a café and enjoy coffee the way it should be enjoyed. Studying my watchtower for the meeting tonight, I embraced the moment I had in the quaint little pasteleria. I do know one thing for sure, I am going to miss moments like this when I return to the states.
Today was a slow day. Meeting was at five, which was a refreshing change since the reschedule was made to accommodate some maintenance work that was done to the hall on Saturday. Everybody appreciated the material and Today's watchtower only made us more excited for the upcoming memorial and campaign work. Feeling as run down as I was today, I was especially appreciative of the meeting. Battling myself on whether or not I should go or just stay home and sleep, I gave in and caught the bus with the girls, knowing that my bed would be there when the meeting concluded. It never ceases to amaze me how you can go to meeting feeling tired, slightly in a funk, and run down but leave feeling so refreshed, enlightened, and recharged both spiritually and socially. The friends and their warm hugs and greetings made me forget how tired I was. The night from there was a bit of a lazy one. Rain was pouring viciously as we left the kingdom hall. Everybody ran home and hid under their blankets. The girls and I spent the evening baking cookies, watching Sherlock, and laughing as usual. I must admit that even on the slowest of days, moments with these girls are never dull. Tomorrow, we head to the universities for search work again. Praying that we get some good experiences in day 24.
Today's Positives:
Got to walk in the sunshine with my good friend Audry
Enjoyed a good cup of coffee with no real agenda to rush me from the café or my studies
Made it to the meeting and reaped the blessings of being there and surrounded by The friends and immersed in the spiritual feast
Laughed until it hurt and now my mind is at ease and ready to sleep
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment