Tuesday, February 25, 2014

 

sights from the day



 
 
 
Day 25:
Service with Crystal this morning was both informative and encouraging. We started with informal witnessing- talking to people as we made our way toward my territory. Along the way we had spoken to two Nepali speaking people, Crystal has been studying the language for a while now and can hold a conversation well, and we spoke to a return visit of one of the brothers in the English congregation who we ran into on the street. He is a college professor from Bangladesh who is living here in Portugal as a refugee. Four months ago he was forced to flee his country in order to preserve his life... he is the fourth refugee that I have met since my stay here.
Once we got to my territory, Crystal showed me the borders and we walked along the streets getting familiarized with the addresses- seeing as they are written in a different format than I am used to. We went into the shops tucked in the sides of buildings, checking to see if there were any people who spoke English. Many of the shop owners were Nepali, Bengali, Portuguese, or Nigerian and already studying with brothers in the English congregation. It is faith strengthening, though, to see how much interest there is and how responsive people are. Everyone I have talked to has been genuinely appreciative of the Bible and enjoys discussing it and learning from it. It's something I am not used to- never being turned down when I offer tracts to someone, being able to show them a scripture and talk with them- it makes me enjoy being out all day, searching despite the difficulties, because I know that there are people out there waiting and wanting to be found.
Our last stop on my map was a little restaurant on the corner, a Mediterranean café that was new to town and among one of the two or three of its kind in all of Lisbon. The man who owned the shop was also the chef, he came down to greet us from the kitchen and asked if I could come back to talk to him more since the lunch rush was about to hit. So there it is! A return visit, a Turkish man trying to make it in Portugal.
The rest of the day was spent with Makenzie and Audry. We all met up for lunch and enjoyed each others' company before Crystal left for her afternoon appointment. I was happy that I was able to get to know Crystal a little better today, it is nice to have a friend who understands the struggles and who can reassure you that everything you are doing is appreciated by so many people but most of all by Jehovah.
Seven hours in the ministry, a long jog on the cobblestone streets, and family worship brings my day to a beautiful end. Tomorrow is another long day in service followed by meeting. Day 26, I anticipate the spiritual feast!
Today's Positives:
Had the opportunity to talk to and know Crystal more
Found a possible return visit in a Turkish shop
Enjoyed being out in the sunshine all day long
Have officially decided that I haven't laughed or smiled more in my life than I do with these four roommates of mine

2 comments:

  1. I was nice talking to you today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was nice talking to you!!!! I'm so glad I got to see your pretty face now that you have an iPhone! I love and miss you, Chica! And Byron and Pammie!

    ReplyDelete