Monday, February 3, 2014

Day 3: Nerves aside, I spent the day with the three most amazing girls. Touring the city with my roommates, laughing and talking until late in the apartment- I couldn't ask for a better group and am highly anticipating the arrival of Meghan in March. After our first full day in Lisbon, all I feel is blessed and beyond reassured that this trip is going to be a positive and life changing experience for us all.
We started the morning with errands- walking the streets and getting our bus passes together. Ellie (upper left) was a wonderful tour guide and showed us the center of Lisboa. Cobblestone streets, graffiti walls, tile roofs, and colorful buildings greeted us around every corner. While in the subway, I had my first experience with informal witnessing! As we patiently awaited the booth for our photos, a young man began to strike up a conversation with me. He explained that he was visiting on exchange from Austria and asked politely where I was from and if I were doing an exchange program also. I was very excited to tell him that my friends and I were visiting for volunteer work to help the organization that we are involved in. To my surprise, he asked further questions and I took full advantage of the opportunity! I told him about the preaching work and how all around the world Jehovah's Witnesses speak to people about the Bible and volunteer locally but also travel to help congregations where the need for publishers is great. Anyway, long story short, it was interesting to talk to someone from a different part of the world in the same tongue and have them genuinely interested in what I had to say. In ways, it strengthened my gratitude and excitement to be a part of such a special arrangement for the next few months. Even though I miss my loved ones back home, I feel a sense of belonging and love here.
After the long day on the town, we spent the rest of the evening on the roof of our apartment marveling over the beauty of Lisbon. Talking for hours and growing closer together- I know that I am in the best of company, in a beautiful place, doing a wonderful work. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome writing! You guys rock. These are irreplaceable experiences so soak it in .....and don't blink. Oh and try the port wine :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dan! We picked up a few bottles to try last night- I'll let you know what we think :) as far as this not blinking thing goes... I will try but my eyes might hurt after a while ;)

      Delete
  2. Great post! Love the scenic pictures and the experience :)

    ReplyDelete