Thursday, February 20, 2014

roomies, laughing and hugging as always


Colombo shopping center lit up at night


 
Day 20:
Today was supposed to be my day off, a day to just sleep in and relax before yet another busy weekend. I woke up early, slapped on my tennis shoes and ran up and down the cobblestone hills. It is strange to realize that Makenzie and I are really the only ones out running here whereas back home it is the norm to pass multiple people pounding the pavement on any given day. I'm beginning to think that maybe that's another cultural difference that gives us- as Casio once stated- the "foreigner aura".
Run complete, showers taken, dressed for service, we still had a few hours to kill before my plans to accompany Fabio on his studies and to support the afternoon field service meeting so I decided to go and sit in a café and just enjoy some time with a good cup of coffee and good company. I am starting to draw the conclusion that everyone should do this at least once a week, European style of course. It's amazing how much you can enjoy an hour with a good friend and a cup of Joe with nothing really to talk about or do except for be in the moment.
Moment over, it was time to ride the bus to the kingdom hall- Audry went with me since public transportation seems to be the best place for interesting things to happen. Of course, not five minutes into the bus ride, our interesting moment came. A group of boys approached us and started speaking Portuguese to me, at which I kindly replied, "falo inlès". It seemed to shock them that I was not Portuguese, but at least one of the four knew how to say more than, "I love Americans" or "hello, darling. I love you". I don't even want to know what they were saying in Portuguese but one had tried to strike conversation, asking where we were from- turning to translate and giggle with his friends. Most annoying bus ride of my life, but we lived through it and laugh about it now.
Service was good despite the strange rain. When Fabio apologized for the weather and the sudden cancellation of two out of the three bible studies, I told him that it was alright because I could sleep soundly knowing that I got to go out and do my best to help somebody because I promised Jehovah that I would. So from that moment on, we focused on the fact that we were out and searching rather than focusing on the rain that seemed to fall sideways and hang in the atmosphere like a light mist soaking every inch of everyone who dared to venture outside. The girls and I are starting to realize that serving in a place where the need is greater isn't all yearbook experiences and making disciples in a matter of minutes as if sheep-like ones are just sitting there waiting for you to arrive. It's hard work- but it is rewarding. In ways, if you aren't careful, it can be discouraging because it is rarely like what you expect. On the other hand, if you focus on how up building it is to be within a congregation of people who live in this territory and who work it every day of their life; people who truly appreciate your support and willingness to help- It makes every day serving with such ones a wonderful day.
After service, I remember getting on the bus and feeling a little down by the time I returned to the apartment. Not necessarily a moment of pessimism, but a moment of a memory that caught me by surprise. So we went out- determined to have a good time. Though we didn't do much more than head to the shopping center for food, we made it fun. Laughing the whole way there, scheduling exciting things to do within the next few weeks, being interrupted on the metro by a crowd of strangers who didn't speak our language but knew enough to pull us in to their group picture and tell us to smile, crashing in one bed fully clothed when we arrived back to the apartment- I am so thankful to have such wonderful friends. Day 21, we are resting up for whatever may come our way!
Today's Positives:
Felt very good about taking the time to go running and to enjoy coffee with Makenzie
Supported my fellow pioneers out in the ministry today
Laughed so much that my stomach will be sore for days
Looking forward to these next few weeks and all that is to come
Feeling happy and blessed to be here- knowing that the many challenges that come with picking up and going halfway across the world to serve in unfamiliar territory where searching can be difficult will only make me stronger and draw me closer to Jehovah

No comments:

Post a Comment