Thursday, April 3, 2014

out in service

Day 62:
Funny how small the earth begins to seem when your surroundings start to feel familiar. Wandering the streets, looking for my territory, I begin to notice that all the things that once seemed so new and so foreign are the things I see everyday, things I am familiar and comfortable with. Not saying it isn't beautiful or that I feel as though I have seen all of Lisbon and have become bored- I'm just saying that here seems like most anywhere in a certain way.
Pedro asked me this evening while on our way back from service if I had thought about a future here in Lisbon English. It seemed possible. Initially, it was terrifying but exciting. After  time passes, it is comfortable and familiar. But any place could be a home if you try hard enough to make it one. It made me think about going home next month and how, once again, I would have to adjust. I guess life is just about changes- constantly shifting until you're just comfortable enough for it to morph again. In ways, it scares me a little to go back and try to find a place in the home that adjusted to not having me there for three months. In other ways, I'm looking forward to adjusting again and growing into something better and just a little bit different.
I told Pedro that I had no idea what the future holds, because I don't. Sometimes I think I do, but I never know what I'm going to get tomorrow, and that's okay. Portugal is good for now- service is great to get to search and help those who are considered foreigners here, the congregation is strong and new, the streets are alive and loud, the architecture is old and the people within the buildings are always different seeing as everything keeps changing. All I do know about my future is that in one month I will return to my loved ones in Oregon, and what happens after that- I will allow Jehovah to guide me, but every day has its own anxieties so I will just focus on now. Each day I will try my best to make the best of my remaining days in Europe.
Today's Positives:
The sun was out for a while
I spent some time in the ministry and completed a whole territory on foot, placing nearly all the invitations I had in my bag
I had the opportunity to get to know Anna and Pedro (a married couple in our hall) better by working with them today
We are all excited to leave for Spain in 46 hours!!!
 

1 comment:

  1. I like this post of "What will the future be!?"

    Who knows what the future holds. Hopefully atleast Africa! Where in the continent will we be sent? Its still so up in the air. It could be anywhere! I look forward to it, where ever it is!

    ReplyDelete